Introducing: the Kengos Lace-Up
The Kengos Lace-Up: a radically different and remarkably simple new vision for footwear.
Made from natural, plant-based materials:
- Corn. Durable enough to wear all day, every day — our 100% corn fiber Amaizeᵀᴹ yarn really is amazing. It does triple duty as the material for the exterior of the upper, the shoe lace, and the weaving cord.
- Eucalyptus. Naturally antibacterial and breathable with an incredibly soft finish you will love feeling against your skin, our 100% eucalyptus yarn is the perfect material to use for the upper lining.
- Cork. Insanely light, extremely flexible, and able to support tremendous weight without breaking; cork is a wonder material that also happens to be tree bark. Harvested by hand in the same sustainable way for thousands of years, each cork oak tree regrows its bark in 9 year cycles over a lifespan that can surpass 150 years.
- Rubber. Able to withstand mile after mile of wear, it’s amazing to think that you are walking on tree sap. Our lives are surrounded by rubber, and so is our planet — it is said that there is 1 rubber tree for every 2 humans on earth.
Made from only 4 essential components that work in harmony:
- Engineered Knit Upper. Using state of the art machinery, we piece knit our single-layer, double-face uppers for a seamless construction that fits like a glove. Our knit structure has been specially designed to completely eliminate the numerous reinforcement and stiffening components typically used in footwear. With 99.9% material consumption, we eliminate the excess waste associated with a traditional cut and sew assembly process.
- Natural Cork Midsole. Our anatomically shaped footbed molds to your foot over time, creating a custom fit that gets more comfortable the more you wear it. Covered in 100% cotton, your foot rests directly on the midsole, providing support that you need to feel to believe.
- Pure Flexᵀᴹ Natural Rubber Outsole. As tough as a work boot, our innovative natural rubber formula has best-in-class durability, flexibility, and sustainability. It was created and lab tested by our Head of R&D, a Professor of Organic Chemistry with more than 40 years experience in making high-performance tire rubber.
- 1KnotᵀᴹConstruction. Stand out style that gets noticed from across the room — a single continuous woven cord binds all of the components together, creating a completely adhesive-free assembly process. Tied by hand, this signature detail of every pair of Kengos exposes the craftsmanship of our work for the world to see.
Kengos are always:
- Free of adhesives.
- Free of reinforcements, backers, and stiffeners.
- Free of leather and animal by-products.
- Free of the typical petroleum based products found in most shoes: PU, TPU, TPR, PET, EVA, Polyester, and Nylon.
The Kengos Lace-Up is footwear redefined. Incredible comfort. Stand out style. Adhesive free. Plant-based. Made by hand.
Purchase the beta and experience the Kengos Lace-Up yourself!
Written by Micah Heftman, Chief Product Officer